Member Spot Light: Melinda Kenny “Bada Bing”!
Longtime member, Melinda Kenny, shares with us her journey into fitness, crossfit, and the FireBase community. Her story has been both challenging and joyous. From diagnosis of a life long disease, to marriage, and her first child, Melinda has been a steadfast member of the FireBase family.
1. What was your fitness routine like before joining the FireBase?
My fitness routine prior to joining FireBase consisted of a few YMCA classes a week. I did that for a few months and did nothing at all before joining YMCA. I needed something more intense. My personality was a little much for those ladies.
2. What prompted you to look into CrossFit and how did you end up at the FireBase? How long have you been a member of the gym?
My brother had been doing CrossFit for a few years. I made fun of him for the longest time and said he was part of a cult. When he would visit Orlando, he would drop into FireBase and spoke very highly of it. He told me to go down one day and just check it out. I went and observed a Saturday class and decided this is where I needed to be. I’ve been a member since the very beginning of 2013.
4. What were some of the goals you were looking to accomplish when you joined the Firebase?
During my foundations classes, I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. My goal went from needing a more intense workout while building muscle to wanting and needing to gain and maintain strength. It also definitely helped get rid of my baby weight in record time.
5. What has been the biggest difference you have seen in your health fitness levels?
Before joining FireBase, I couldn’t do a single push up. Now, I can do them with no problem as well as lifting weight that I never would’ve imagined I’d be lifting. My balance and cardio have also improved, immensely.
6. What do you enjoy most about training at the FireBase?
I enjoy training at FireBase because you not only get a great workout without having to train for hours, but you get to do it with a great community of people who genuinely care and want you to perform at your best.
7. What one movement in CrossFit do you think promotes the best results and why?
Squats because every woman should love squatting for the aesthetic and functional aspects of it. It particularly helps if you have a child.
8. What would you say to anyone thinking about trying CrossFit, but is skeptical about doing it?
Anybody can do CrossFit. I can see how it could be intimidating, but every workout or movement can be tailored to your own physical capability or needs. If you just compare yourself to the person you want to be and push to be better than the last time, you’ll love CrossFit. It also carries over to everyday functions in life such as people skills, carrying groceries, and even cleaning!!
Interested in learning more about PRIMUS CrossFit, Orlando's premier CrossFit affiliate gym. Contact Us to find out more.
Tags: CrossFit, Fitness